Tech & Analytics: Technologists for Good
February 17, 2021 – Upcoming Events, Opportunities & Resources
LETTER FROM THE ADVISOR:
Did you know there is an entire sector of employment available to those of you interested in using your technology and/or data analytics skills to make a social impact? Terminology you may see used to designate this career path includes Public Interest Technology (PIT), Technologists for Good, CivicTech, GovTech, and Social Impact Technology. Here are a few resources to help you learn more about this exciting area within tech.
- New America and govtech.com shares news, publications, podcasts, and hosts events.
- Job boards with internship and job postings include techforgood.com, weareimpactful.org, usajobs.gov and PIT Job Board.
- For GovTech, watch the video, Crash Course on Tech Work in Government, to hear from those working in this field and read this guide with advice.
- To identify organizations working in this space, check out techforgood.com. In addition, #morethancode shares organizations using technology for justice and equity and govtech.com has top 100 lists recognizing private companies making a difference in the GovTech space. Of course, you will also want to identify federal, state, and local agencies of interest.
- coding it forward has established an online community, blog, and a weekly newsletter with jobs, internships, and articles. Applications now open for a paid 10-week summer program working in state and local government. Apply here and attend the information session on Thursday, Feb 18, at 8pm ET.
- For those interested in the combination of tech and policy, check out TechCongress.
Almost all of these sites have mailing lists or newsletters – sign up to stay up-to-date on what’s happening and receive job and internship openings in this field on a weekly basis.
Speaking of CivicTech and GovTech, don’t forget about the Government, Nonprofit, and Education Career Fair on Friday! Some of the organizations registered are seeking your skills.
All the best,
Assistant Director, Employer Relations and Industry Advising | Health, Science, and Technology
You are currently viewing a shortened version of this newsletter, leaving out the events and job opportunities from that time. To see the full version, click here.
Article of the Week
7 Skills You Need to Succeed in Data Science (and How to Show Them Off in a Job Search)
Source: The Muse
If you want to land a data science role, you’ll want to work on developing these seven skills recruiters and hiring managers are looking for—and showing them off in your applications. Read more (new window)!
Career Center Resources
Drop-ins are Monday-Friday between 1-3 pm via georgetown.zoom.us/j/417727789. Get connected with an advisor for a 15-minute meeting on a first-come, first-serve basis.
Appointments: Virtual appointments are available via Handshake. Sign up under ‘Career Center,’ then ‘Appointments’, then ‘Industry Advising,” then ‘Health, Science, and Technology’.