Cawley Leadership Development Program
The Cawley Leadership Development Program pairs first year and sophomore students of color with alumni of color for a semester-long mentoring program.
Each month, students and mentors will participate in workshops on various topics related to leadership. In between workshops, mentors and students will then work together develop leadership skills to help students succeed in college, as interns, and beyond.
The program is an opportunity for alumni to give back to Georgetown and for underclassmen to receive guidance on everything from leadership topics, career planning, and how to navigate college, from those who have “been there, done that.”
In the spring semester, alumni and mentors apply to the program. Students are selected based on the number of alumni available and based on an essay demonstrating commitment to the program.
What do students commit to in the program?
- – Students must set one leadership goal and one professional goal to work towards during the program.
- – Students must attend three, monthly workshops organized by the Cawley Career Education Center with their mentor. For the Spring 2022 semester, workshop dates will take place in February, March, and April (exact dates TBD).
- – Students must schedule two, one-on-one meetings to work with their mentor on their leadership and professional goals.
What do mentors commit to in the program?
- – Mentors must commit to attending each of the three workshops, either virtually or in-person, throughout the semester.
- – Mentors must commit to holding students accountable to their goals and encouraging students to think through a plan to achieving those goals.
- – Mentors are welcomed to share their experiences as an undergraduate on the Hilltop.
Keep in mind that is it NOT the mentor’s responsibility to find students a summer internship or to connect students to members of their network. A mentor’s job is to be a sounding board, a guide, and a resource for students to achieve their own goals.
How To Apply
Applications for alumni mentors are currently being accepted. Alumni can apply by emailing Rebecca Cassidy (new window) through January 14, 2022.
Students should watch their Georgetown email for invitations to apply in early January, 2022.