Career Resources for International Students

Throughout your job search, be sure to check out the Career Center resources to help you with interviewsresume and cover letters, and networking. Visit our center and other spaces on campus to connect with staff members who can help you navigate this process. Below are resources specifically for you, as an international student, to assist with your job search while at Georgetown University.

Job Search in the U.S. 

Immigration documents and procedures present complicated bureaucratic challenges for non-U.S. students and scholars. Employment opportunities for F-1 and J-1 international students are restricted. A few key things to be aware of:

  • Never accept or engage in paid or unpaid off-campus employment, internships, fellowships, or other training without prior authorization from Georgetown’s Office of Global Services. Learn more about work authorizations, including Curricular Practical Training (CPT), Optional Practical Training (OPT) and Academic Training (AT) on the International Student & Scholar Services website
  • Understand your visa status and what types of employment authorizations are available to you in order to clearly communicate your work eligibility to the employer.

Researching organizations that have hired international students

As an international student, you may also face special challenges in getting internships and jobs in the U.S. Complex and changing immigration regulations, a lack of clear information about which employers hire international students, and cultural differences will require you to spend additional time and effort to learn about employment policies and practices that may affect you. This article lays out a tactical approach to finding a job in the U.S. as an international student. 

You may have concerns about whether employers in the U.S. will hire international students. Online research and networking conversations can help you identify organizations that have hired international workers in the past. As you conduct online research to learn more, consider the following resources.

The following is a list of companies that have hired Georgetown University F-1 international students on CPT work authorization (Excel spreadsheet) from Jan 2016 to May 2018, based on data from the Office of Global Services. Browse by major, undergraduate vs. graduate, and location. While the companies on this list are likely supportive of hiring international students, recruiting practices change frequently.

Top 200 Employers
The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) at the U.S. Department of Homeland Security captures data from SEVP-certified schools and active international students to create lists of the top 200 employers who hired pre- and post-completion OPT students (PDF), STEM OPT students (PDF), and CPT students in 2019.

Passport Career’s USA H-1B Employer Database 
New users, go to Passport Career, click “register,” then use the registration key “gtown987” and use your Georgetown email address to create your account. Once you’re logged in, click on the H-1B tab at the top of the page. This database includes more than 340,000 U.S. employers who have provided H-1B visas or work permits to non-Americans. While this is not a list of positions you can apply for, this database provides valuable information about what employers applied for this visa in the past. You can search the database by keyword, salary, company, location and type of job.

My Visa Jobs
My Visa Jobs identifies employment opportunities for foreign nationals who want to live and work in the U.S. and Canada. Search annually updated lists of employers accepting H-1B visa holders. Sort lists by state, industry, or job title. This site also contains information about work authorizations and information about a variety of industries. 

Uniworld Online
Uniworld (available to Georgetown users only) provides contact information for the headquarters, subsidiaries, and branches of multinational companies in over 200 countries and thousands of industries. In the event you are not chosen for the H1B lottery, there is a chance that a multinational company will relocate you to your home country.

International Organizations (PDF)
These international organizations are covered under the International Organizations Immunities Act (1945), and often provide full-time international employees with G-4 status. Students who work for one of these organizations during the program of study must have an F-1 or J-1 work authorization.

Once you have identified some international-friendly organizations, you need a plan for applying to jobs and networking with professionals at these organizations. See our networking page to learn more about how to do that. Be sure to join the Georgetown International Students & Scholars group on LinkedIn to connect with international alumni for advice on careers, options available after graduation, and more.

American Culture

If you are new to the U.S., you likely have questions about U.S. workplace culture. One aspect of American culture that may be different from yours is the importance of small talk. See this Q&A on American culture, which includes some things foreigners find strange about American culture.

Sharing your immigration status

Below are questions we often hear from international students who want to work in the U.S. after graduation.

Can employers limit their interviewing and hiring to U.S. citizens?  
Sometimes, if citizenship is deemed to be an essential part of the position. The National Association of Colleges and Employers has some helpful information on this topic

Should I list my immigration status on my resume? 
You do not need to list your immigration status on your resume. Your educational background and work history will display that you are an international student. You should never lie about your immigration status, but are not required to disclose it on your resume.

When in the hiring process do I reveal that I’m an international student?  
Some employers adhere to strict policies against hiring foreign nationals. Others may prefer to hire U.S. citizens, but can be convinced otherwise. It is usually recommended that students wait until an employer asks, but be aware of whether the company has petitioned for visas in the past. If you are being asked to travel for an interview, it would be wise to ask, “Is this a position in which the company is willing to petition for an H1-B as I am currently in F-1 status?”  For an additional perspective on this question, read this excerpt from a presentation (PDF) by Adrienne Nussbaum, Assistant Dean for International Student Services at Boston College.

Are there questions that are illegal for an employer to ask me?
An employer MAY NOT ask: “What is your visa type, nationality, place of birth?” or “Of which country are you a citizen?” or “What is your native language?” or “What language do you most often speak?”

An employer MAY ask: “Are you legally authorized to work in the United States?” or “Will you now or in the future require sponsorship for an employment visa?” or “Which languages do you read, speak or write?” (provided that foreign language skills are job related)

I am in F-1 status. What should I say when an employer asks about my work authorization?
Explain that you have the legal right to work in the U.S. for up to twelve months using Optional Practical Training (OPT) following graduation. The employer does not need to do anything in order for this to happen. If you have graduated with a degree in one of the STEM (Sciences, Tech, Engineering, and Math) fields, then share that you are eligible for a 24-month STEM extension of your OPT. If you do not have a degree in a STEM field or if you’ve completed your STEM extension, you should explain that your work authorization may be authorized for another three-to-six years with H-1B status. If the employer asks for more information, you should be able to clearly explain the H-1B process. To learn more, OGS hosts an H-1B session each semester. Helpful hint: Avoid using the word “sponsor,” instead use the word “petition” when speaking about H-1B status.

Job Search Outside the U.S.

Leveraging Your Network in Another Country

Research job sites that are popular in any country you’re interested in and expand your network with people who work there to learn more about the job search process. The following online resources can help you get started.

Passport Career
New users, go to Passport Career and click “Register,” enter the registration key “ gtown987” (all lowercase), and use your Georgetown email address to create your account. 

  • Job openings — To search for jobs by country, click “Jobs/Intern Portal.” 
  • Research locations — If you are researching potential locations, click on the “Countries and USA Cities” tab at the top of the page to learn more about visa/work permit regulations, culture and business protocol, top employers to target, and more.
  • Webinars — Participate in a live and interactive training session covering a wide range of topics to help you find a job and leverage your international perspective.

Uniworld Online
Uniworld (available to Georgetown University users only) provides contact information for the headquarters, subsidiaries, and branches of multinational companies in over 200 countries and across 20,000 industries. You may consider a multinational company that has operations in your home country, as many multinational employers prefer that you begin your career in your home country.

Lockin China
For Chinese students looking to secure full-time employment post-graduation in your home country, Georgetown University has joined Global University China Career Union (GUCCU) to help you navigate the job search process. In addition to the jobs and internships posted from thousands of employers in China, this portal offers workshops and articles to help you prepare for your job search. Internships are open to all students at Georgetown.

Once you have identified some international-friendly organizations, you need a plan for applying to jobs and networking with professionals at these organizations. See our networking page to learn more about how to do that. Be sure to join the Georgetown International Students & Scholars group on LinkedIn to connect with international alumni for advice on careers, options available after graduation, and more.

Other on-campus resources for international students

Office of Global Services
The Office of Global Services, located in Suite 210, Car Barn, provides immigration advising as well as cultural adjustment support for international students in F-1 and J-1 status. As an international student, it is your responsibility to understand Department of Homeland Security regulations governing your immigration status. The international student advisors in the Office of Global Services are your primary resource for educating yourself about your rights and responsibilities as an international student.  If you have questions about your immigration status, F-1 or J-1 regulations, cultural adjustment, or resources available to you as an international student, you can visit an international student advisor at the Office of Global Services during walk-in hours or by scheduling an appointment.   

Career Centers at Georgetown University
The Cawley Career Education Center and other university career centers offer support for any Georgetown students considering jobs, internships, or an overall career direction. If you are a graduate student, you may have your own primary career centers.

Academic Programs
Professors and department heads can often provide information about how other students have used their academic training to find jobs or internships.  

Writing Center
The Writing Center, located in Lauinger Library, offers free tutoring sessions for Georgetown students who want to improve their academic or professional writing. Tutors at the Writing Center are trained to support second-language writers and their appointments can be a helpful supplement to the career center’s drop-ins as you work on your application documents.