Given the popularity of social media today, using LinkedIn is a critical part of successful networking. More than likely you already have an online presence; creating your LinkedIn profile allows you to brand yourself, showcase your skills and accomplishments, and build and manage your network.
- Setting up a profile is the first step. You may want to connect with ‘Jane Hoya’ to see an example of a strong student profile.
- If you’re wondering what to add to your profile, browse some profiles of people working in your industry. This can help generate ideas, and show top skills of people in your industry.
- Visit the Career Education Center for a same-day appointment or attend a LinkedIn workshop to learn more about creating your profile and getting started.
Getting & Staying Connected
- Once your profile is complete, start making connections. Joining groups can generate leads and give you access to people with similar interests. A great way to get started is to join the Georgetown University Alumni Group.
- Send a personalized note when inviting someone to connect with you. Something as simple as reminding them where they met you, or why you would like to connect provides some context for your invitation.
- Quality trumps quantity when it comes to LinkedIn connections. Make sure you are making meaningful connections and joining groups that genuinely interest you.
- Participate in discussions in your groups. This is a great way to show interest and get exposure in your industry.
- Visit the pages of companies you are interested in. Company pages often offer useful information about the organization and visiting their page will show you if any of their employees are in your network.
- Follow companies you are interested in. Following companies will keep you in the loop about a company's job postings, hires, and announcements.
- Jobs are posted on LinkedIn as well. Explore LinkedIn's student jobs section to search for internships and entry level positions.
LinkedIn has many great features and benefits for students. To learn more about what LinkedIn can do for you, visit our center for a same-day appointment, or attend one of our LinkedIn workshops.