What Can I Do with My Biochemistry Major?
The biochemistry major includes coursework in each of the fundamental areas of chemistry and biochemistry. Students who choose this major also have opportunities to participate in undergraduate research by enrolling in research courses, the Georgetown Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program, or on a volunteer basis. Students may also make a more serious multi-term commitment to undergraduate research by pursuing an honors degree that culminates in a senior thesis.
The major provides rigorous training suitable for medical school admissions, graduate study in biochemistry or graduate studies in any of the basic medical sciences. It is particularly well suited for students aspiring to M.D./Ph.D. programs. Some recent graduates have also gone on directly to industrial, academic, or research careers, or to law schools and graduate schools of business.
Biochemistry allows for the development of a core set of skills in a wide range of occupational settings. A sampling of representative skills and abilities follows.
- Reading and evaluating technical information
- Synthesizing information
- Perceiving patterns and structures
- Logical presentation of information
- Ability to convey complex issues
- Technical writing
- Public speaking
- Formulating and assessing hypotheses
- Research design and implementation
- Using original sources
- Collecting and interpreting data
Sample Internship Opportunities
- Health Policy and Operations (Center for the Study of the Presidency, Emergency Operations Center, Pan American Health Organization)
- Pharmaceuticals, University Ambassador (Biowizard, Inc.)
- Research, Reproductive Research (Cleveland Clinic)
Where are Georgetown Biochemistry Majors Now?
- CEO, pharmaceutical company
- Research project manager
- Obstetrician physician
- Plastic surgeon
- Chemist, manufacturing
- Professor, medical school
- Physician/researcher, government
Relevant Websites and Publications
- The Biochemistry Program at Georgetown
- The Georgetown Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program
- The Chemistry Club at Georgetown
For information about career options, internship and full-time opportunities, contact the Career Education Center at One Leavey Center, (202) 687-3493. For more information on the academic requirements for the major, contact the Chemistry Department, (202) 687-6073.